It’s a hot summer. Nothing slows down production like a heat wave in your warehouse. Think about it though – couldn’t your warehouse run more efficiently and quickly if the workers are comfortable? As anyone who runs a warehouse can tell you, being uncomfortable leads to rushing leads to mistakes. Here are a few ways to deal with warehouse heat and humidity to help make your warehouse run more efficiently through the summer.
What can you do
- Install high-volume A/C units. Fastest and safest method to reduce heat and humidity. May not be as effective if you have large bay doors that are open constantly, and doesn’t help outdoor workers.
- Some machinery is prone to overheating. Make sure that if you have conveyor belts or other machinery that doesn’t perform well in the heat, try to keep it in the cooler parts of the building.
- Know your employees and workforce. Not everyone handles the heat as well as others. If you have employees that have trouble with the heat, consider moving them to a cooler area or giving them frequent breaks.
- Watering stations can really help with cooldown. Keep stations at regular intervals and assign employees and resources to keep them filled. An employee with heatstroke is a serious matter. Not just lost work time, but a human being hurt in your warehouse. If you see signs of heatstroke, or your employees do, rectify that right away. Tell your employees to watch for signs such as dizziness and loss of breath.
- Lock in the cool air. Vinyl strips can keep in as much as 60% of your cold air without disrupting the workflow of your warehouse.
- Industrial dehumidifiers are a huge comfort to employees. Taking the humidity down makes an immediate difference in the health and comfort of your workforce.
These are just some of the ways that you can make your warehouse more comfortable and effective. Tier-Rack can help as well. We have experience designing custom racks and helping companies utilize their space, both in the horizontal AND the vertical. We can help your company whether you’re moving in or redesigning. Call us today at 800-325-7869 or visit www.tier-rack.com for more information. Don’t live with frustrating racks and unusable space any more.